Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Why Do I Even Bother?

  We recently bought a set of baby monitors for what was supposed to be a long distance relationship with our five month old son at nighttime.  However, this was not a very realistic assumption.  We don't really use the monitors, even though they are plugged in and turned on.   I would like to say we don't use them because River sleeps through the night, rendering them useless.  Noooo...I would not consider it a waste of money if that were the case.  They stay turned on, and we gruelingly fall asleep to their hum and static, while River snoozes away, using me as his mattress.
   I'm not really certain what happened.  One day he was being laid down in his crib fully awake, cooing and laughing himself to sleep.  I considered it a bad night when he was mildly fussy as he put himself to sleep.  Boo hoo.  I long for those days once again.  Now I cannot lay that mama's boy down in his crib before he has fallen asleep.  Oh no, and not only has he recently realized he wants to fall asleep in someones arms, but he has also established that he is on a binky boycott.  Nothing can soothe him in the middle of the night except mom sitting very uncomfortably upright against the wall, with an all-you-can-eat buffet....ALL night long. 
  He will be in the kind of deep sleep where he's snoring cute baby snores and drool is dripping from the corners of his chubby little cheeks, and if I dare lay him down, he realizes once again that he is hungry.  If I try to bogart his happiness with a binky, his new found coordination slaps that binky from my hand every time I get it close to his lips!  Not kidding!
  Hopefully one day soon I will be able to say that I am using them for their intended purpose, but until then, we will just have to have fun spying on our neighbors, or maybe even using them as a security system as Israel has suggested...our neighborhood is rather precarious.  But for now, we'll just let River hold it and play with the buttons.  Keeping children occupied=money well spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment