Saturday, January 12, 2013

Indigestion and Parenting

Having children can cause your behavior to become a little erratic.  You basically start living your day-to-day life like a crack head.  Jumping from one thing to the next, yelling indiscriminately, crying your eyes out, then totally just passing out.  (Okay crackheads, I am totally not trying to stereotype you).  Sometimes you just want to reward yourself with an uninterrupted moment of eating.  Lame?......yes!   True?......unfortunately.

Seriously though...all good parents take the brunt of things.  We eat the least appealing fruit in the basket, we NEVER get the last piece of cake, when we finally get to go see a movie, we spend $40 to see option Z (which we love because of the kids' excitement), we wear our clothes a couple days in a row because our kids clothes get washed first, and for goodness sakes people, we wipe butts!

So when I want to have that alluring bite of somethingIdon'twannashare, I hole myself up in a childless corner of the house, and I eat that chocolate like I'm a prisoner with a shiv.  My back becomes an impenetrable wall, and I eat so dang fast I get heartburn.  But was that Lindt bar worth it?  Uh!  You even have to ask?  Well, you must not be a parent then.

2 comments:

  1. rhea, i really enjoyed reading this and it's so true! i am currently trying to start weaning my 14 month old- basically stop him from nursing every 2 hours, so he can eat real food- so now he just follows me around the house screaming. it's horrible and i feel so awful and stressed out about it, i've been looking for blogs by other mothers that approach the struggles of parenting with empathy AND humor. it helps to know i'm not alone, and you are right on about the chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You most certainly are not alone! No mother has all of the answers, and parenting is certainly not a part of life that requires you to act alone. I think we need to glean from each other as much as we can. I mean, who thought when they signed up for parenting that they would ever have to wiggle out of the 'I puked in the bath water' fiasco. Or had to decide whether or not to CUT the clothes off and burn them, or ATTEMPT to take the soiled clothes over the face then wash them. Children create a lot of interesting dilemma's that are so worth having in the end. Hang in there, enjoy even the overwhelming moments because they fleeting, and good luck with the weaning....been there done that, and about to go for round 3 in about 5 months.

    ReplyDelete