Saturday, March 5, 2011

Trading Sight for a Vision

  It began with headaches, nausea, the occasional burst of pain that felt like my eyes were doing jumping jacks inside of my skull.  All of these wonderful feelings accompanied the fact that I needed glasses.
  I made a doctors appointment.  Suffered through the drops that make your eyes the size of watermelons and as sensitive as a woman experiencing PMS.  Then, they proceeded to TRIPLE my vision with their magic drops from hell.  They said it was "necessary."  They saw something "questionable."  I think it was more for sport, but I had little proof outside of the slight giggle I heard on my way out when I missed the doorway.
  Given the unpleasant circumstances my eyes were now in, it was really fun to pick out frames. I had to stand about an inch away from the mirror to even see myself incoherently.  I was getting an even more furious eye ache from the strain of trying to focus in the mirror.  I saw a pair that looked decent (they weren't really), so I chose them.  A few weeks later, sporting my PURPLE frames, I realized that these glasses were not working out.
  I went back to the Optometrist to voice my complaints.  Not only did I still have headaches, my vision wasn't improving one bit, and I felt like I was constantly walking on a slightly uphill treadmill.  Not fun!
  The doctor  then proceeded to tell me that I must give it more time.  Two weeks to be exact.  Like two days wasn't adequate time?  Discouraged, I decided to wear them, as instructed, regardless of how many times I wanted to throw up or got laughed at for walking like I had scuba fins on.
  And then something amazing happened!  Within those next few weeks, the feeling of vomit rising began to give way.  The nausea, headaches, and cross-eyed feeling when I read, were gone.  I could see now with ease and clarity! 
  Did I really buy PURPLE glasses!?
  The way I viewed things was erroneous, I needed help to see what my eyes couldn't see on their own.  And when that help came, it took awhile for my eyes to adjust to seeing correctly what I had perceived wrongly for so long.  The accuracy, the truth, was what seemed  contorted, disillusioned, and just plain wrong.  Sometimes getting our sight corrected can be uncomfortable to say the least, but when it's all said and done, we find that we have traded mere sight for a vision.  And the view is breathtaking!

1 comment:

  1. this made me laugh. 1.because i pictured you trying to walk... and 2.because it reminded me of the first time i ever had to get glasses. i was in 3rd grade and my mom and i were at the eye doctor inside of wal mart. well of course he gave me the drops before i chose my lenses, and so i was doing my best to pick some out. i had tried a few on and could barely see a thing, so i was depending on my mom to help me. she picked out a couple she liked, then jim & shirley happened to walk by and see us. so they came in and my mom told me to have them tell me which ones looked best. so i did and everyone seemed so excited when i put on a certain pair so i got really excited and picked those. a few days later when i went in to pick them up, i tried them on and realized i had chosen big red glasses w/ black squiggly's all over them... not to mention at this age i had super rosey cheeks. i cried. i look back now and realize i was a little girl and everyone just thought the glasses looked cute on me...but from now on i look at frames BEFORE i go in to see the doctor.

    ReplyDelete